Friday, January 18, 2013

 
The snow storm we had earlier this week was very pretty and not overly difficult to shovel or snowblow. A few pictures:

A flock of ten wild turkeys spent quite a bit of time on the property picking through the snow to find seeds or other edibles in our gardens.

The blogger in lined jeans and leather clearing our parking area.  The snowblower is an Ariens and a really great machine.  The dealer told me a couple of months ago that I was lucky to buy it when Ariens was still making high quality machines; currently they're made in China with a lot of plastic parts and he no longer recommends them.

The outdoor portion of the indoor/outdoor tree.

Our solar panels generally begin to clear themselves as soon as the sun hits them but the process can take an hour or so, during which we lose some valuable electrical production.  I generally go up the hill as soon as I can when a storm is over and clear them with a big push broom.  I took this picture just before I began to brush them clean. 

Beech trees keep their golden fall color throughout the winter.  In early spring the leaves are so dry that they make a clicking sound like a baby's rattle when the wind blows through them.  The new buds swelling in mid-spring are what pushes the previous years leaves off in what looks like a shower of gold in the breeze.

************

I'd ask what's wrong with this picture but it's painfully obvious.  This is a section of the lower wall of the upstairs guest bathroom.   It is also the bathroom I use when I am upstairs working in my studio.  Since nobody ever comes up there when I'm working (Fritz generally wants to avoid any opera I might have playing while I'm there), I usually leave the door open.  As this part of the wall is behind the open door, it took me a couple of years after the house was finished to spot this problem.

This kind of small tile comes mounted on sheets of mesh from the manufacturer, so it isn't the fault of the tiler, except that the tiler should have noticed the problem immediately and discarded the sheet.  So I'm left with a question -- do I leave it alone or do I have the two tiles chiseled out, reset and grouted?  Fritz advocates leaving it alone.  So does a tradition in the weaving of magnificent "oriental" rugs and the setting of elaborate Muslim tile work -- as only Allah is perfect, there must be a small flaw purposely worked into any art so as not to challenge his perfection.

But now I know it's there, and it's bothering me.  It's not the kind of thing that wakes me in the middle of the night.   But whenever I go into that bathroom, I'm aware that there's a flaw down toward a corner of the wall, and that it contradicts the room's visual layout which is very Deco and therefore very geometric.  Also, guests who use the room and close the door can see it very easily as they come out of the shower or sit on the toilet.  On the other hand, nobody's ever mentioned to me so maybe nobody's ever noticed.  But then again, maybe they did and are just being polite.  All of these opposing points keep occurring to me.  Suggestions?     

Comments:
The bathroom wall would absolutely drive me crazy. But I'm willing to bet no one, or hardly anyone else has noticed it, and if they did they forgot it as soon as they left. So I'd leave it alone and just grit my teeth everytime I had to go in there!
 
We have turkeys on the property of our second house out in the 'wilderness' thirty miles away. I never stop being mesmerized watching them 'proceeding in an orderly fashion'. They never panic when they detect me watching, they just 'pick up the pace'. So beautiful.
 
You'd never regret having it fixed (if they don't screw it up worse)
 
We have a similar b/w tile pattern in the wc floor. And we have a similar out-of-place tile that draws my eye whenever I'm in there.

I have come to think of it as a feature rather than a flaw.

Depending on your accent, they could rhyme: flaw and floor!
 
Lovely snowshots: especially 'Dindons sur la neige'. We've had the snow but not the blue sky to make it glisten. In our much more limited urban yard, I was delighted to see a blackbird's clawprints leading to the waterbowl, which I had to de-ice: and then I saw the blackbird himself, absent for so long. A small pleasure, but a significant one.
 
So much beauty.

As for the tiles, just consider it playful. It's only wrong if you say it is. (But, it would drive me crazy for a while, too!)
 
Do the solar panels fill your full electric needs, or are they supplemental?

Oh, and I'd leave the tiles there. See if any guests notice them. If not, you could always paint them. ;-)
 
They supplement, Erik, because the house draws a considerable load. We have a hot tub outside and a sauna room in the house as well as a deep freeze, fridge, washer/dryer and all the usual electronics. Appliances include a bread machine. On our best days we make twelve kilowatts, however it's New England so there are lots of days when we make between two and five only. But the panels certainly help a lot.
 
Hey Will, nice pics....as for the tiles, I vote for leaving them as is. Of course my partner would want them replaced immediately. Problem is...he is the perfectionist and I am the one that actually has to do the work to replace the tiles. So my vote may be slightly influenced by having to do the work!
Ken
 
The tiles are a treasure! You have something unique and special.
 
It seems I did what so many people do on my blog...commented on the wrong post. D'oh!

Anyhow, I can't imagine living in that kind of snow. I get very anxious when we get anything over an inch here in Denver!
 
Quite possibly guests put down a bath mat and don't notice? I haven't, but your grand daughter might.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?