Thursday, January 24, 2013

 

Comments on Random Pictures from the Web

A new look for Doc Martens as a result of a collaboration with Liberty of London.   It's a little like a look back at the Carnaby Street fashion revolution of Mary Quant and all the others in the 1960s.  I've worn Docs since sometime in the late 80s or early 90s but I'm not sure these are in my future.


This walled and fortified town, essentially the revival of a medieval city with gates and towers, is proposed for construction in Wyoming.  It is meant to be a fortress against the U.S. Government.  Because there is obviously a heavy component of gun advocacy, I looked up John Parker of the fortified city's Green and found several.  There are two, however, who might well be the man to be memorialized by naming the Green after him.

The first, and, I suppose the most likely, was Captain of the militia at Lexington Green when the first shots of the Revolution were fired -- in Massachusetts, be it noted and not New Hampshire as Michele Bachmann believes.  He is recorded as saying to his men, "Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here." The British killed a cousin of his in the skirmish.  Later that day he rallied his men to attack the regulars returning to Boston in an ambush known as "Parker's Revenge".

The other John Parker was the armed guard assigned to stand at the door to the box in Ford's Theater the night Abraham Lincoln was shot.  Mr. Parker was absent from his post, allowing John Wilkes Booth to enter the box and shoot Lincoln.  As one of the arguments of the NRA is that mass shootings can be prevented if there is someone with a gun to stop the shooter, this John Parker  might have been chosen to demonstrate why their argument is valid.  I don't really think he's what they had in mind but his place in history is interesting in this regard. 

Glenn Beck is proposing something similar in Texas with an estimated price tag of $2 billion.  I'm not a gun nut so I'm probably not qualified to comment, but I wonder what the quality of life in these hermetically sealed armed camps will be like.  I imagine that at least some of the population will have to go out to work because I doubt the Citadel can support the entire population with just the gun factory and museum. 

I have no idea who this is but he certainly is in great shape and the pose is quite beautiful in a way.

This was put on the web with this caption: Saudi Woman's Car.


************

Murphy's Other 15 Laws


1. Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

2. A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

3. He, who laughs last, thinks slowest.


4. A day without sunshine is like, well, night. 

5. Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

6. Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't. 

7. Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool. 

8. The 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong. 

9. It is said that if you line up all the cars in the world end-to-end, someone from California would be stupid enough to try to pass them. 

10. If the shoe fits, get another one just like it. 

11. The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those, who got there first. 

12. Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat all day drinking beer. 

13. Flashlight: A case for holding dead batteries. 

14. God gave you toes as a device for finding furniture in the dark. 

15. When you go into court, you are putting yourself in the hands of twelve people, who weren't smart enough to get out of jury duty.




Comments:
I definitely don't see those shoes in my future either, Will.

The left hand part of the pose is great, but the head and arms lack a sense of placement to me. If the left arm had been posed in some way it would have been better.

Love law #3! LOL

#10 isn't a Murphy's situation at all. For anyone who ever has trouble finding shoes its a necessity!
 
I especially love "Murphy's Other Laws." I love those shoes but, if I owned them, I doubt I'd wear them in public.
 
it looks too small to be an insane asylum.
 
Gracious! The last time I was able to strike that pose was... Never!

As to #8 of 'Murphy's Other Laws', plugging an electrical cord into a socket with the wide/narrow blade orientation correct. Wrong every time. Seems statistically impossible, but I manage it.
 
I can't even imagine living in that kind of snow. I get very anxious when we get anything over an inch here in Denver!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?