Sunday, December 16, 2012

 
I got this from Erik Rubright's blog, Gambrinous with Griffonage*:


Is your beard as soft as it looks? Is it due to constant maintenance, or is it naturally that way?  What's on my cheeks is fairly soft.  I keep it trimmed neatly and don't let it get too long.  The mustache part is made up of stiffer hair and I have to be careful to keep it clipped back or I can inflict irritation or pain on others during certain activities.

Does your area have a food or dish that it’s known for? Something that was invented there or that just isn’t the same anywhere else?  Yes, many like Boston baked beans with steamed brown bread, or lobster with drawn butter, but one of my great favorites is New England clam chowder. Properly made with onions and diced potatoes sauteed in butter, crumbled crisp bacon, cream (or at the very least, half and half), a bit of sage, salt and pepper, and good cold water clams coarsely minced, it is incredibly good.

Do you follow any webcomics?  No.  I know they exist and have seen some episodes of them occasionally but have never gotten really interested.

If money were not necessary, how would you spend your days? Where would you go to do it?  I'd live where I live in this wonderful house with my wonderful man and travel wherever we liked as often as we liked, but always coming home to "our place."

Would you ever consider visiting Canada… as in Vancouver Island?
Been there, done that.  I've also visited Quebec province and its main cities, Ontario province for Niagara Falls and the Stratford Festival, and Victoria and environs on Vancouver Island.  I like Canada.  I'm looking forward to visiting the city of Vancouver, hopefully in the not too distant future. 

Are you a musician? Do you/have you ever played an instrument or sung, have you ever written a song?  Sadly I never had any musical training but music has been a driving force in my life since I was about seven.  I have "sung" in Gilbert and Sullivan's Trial by Jury which I directed and starred in, and have co-authored two librettos for operas for others to sing.

Do you swim? Was Jacques Yves Cousteau ever a figure of legend for you?  I do swim.   Monsieur Cousteau was someone I deeply respected.  As a kid I saw some of the earliest movies made profiling his work, particularly his invention of the aqualung, together with French engineer Émile Gagnan, and the explorations it made possible.

Have you ever done drag? Do you ever *want* to do drag?  I played with it on one occasion during one of our big New Years house parties but it's not something I've ever had a compulsion to do.  I've read a lot of queer theory about drag, and while I support men who do it, I honestly don't "get it" for myself.  

Have you always wanted to be a man? Ever wanted to be a woman?  Absolutely Yes, and absolutely No (see above) in that order.  I LOVE being a man and getting to love (etc!) men, one very much in particular (see below).

How did you meet your husband? Where, when and what did you do on your first date?  I met him at a gay men's massage group that met once a month in Cambridge during the years I was living in Boston.  I was on the massage table, looked up and saw these two lively French blue eyes looking down at me, along with the beard and sweet smile -- and that was pretty much it.  For our first date, Fritz invited me up to his place in New Hampshire for lunch.  We did on the first date what people say you don't do if you're seriously interested in a LTR (and we did it at the BEGINNING of the first date), then we drove to the coast, walked along the beach and talked.  That's how it began.   

Have you ever had a cross-generational relationship?  A couple, actually.  As long as everybody is of legal age, I see it as the business of the two partners and nobody else. 

How do you wipe your ass?  With toilet tissue, in the conventional manner.

What is the worst thing you have ever done?  I've stayed with lost causes a couple of times in my life, one in particular, because I'm essentially a very loyal person.  When I make a commitment I do my best to stick with it even if it isn't necessarily in my best interests.  In this one case I had a very painful couple of years, but came out of it and eventually arrived at the best years of my life (see How did you meet your husband?, above).

When you were little, what did you want to be when you grew up? How did those dreams change as you aged?  I remember writing an essay on that very subject in grammar school.  I said I wanted to be either a woodworker or a painter.  When I became fascinated with the theater and scenic design, I essentially became both, along with developing a wide variety of other skills.

What are you longing for?  To live in a country that is back on a firm footing, with a government that once again functions in a rational, productive manner.  I'm not holding my breath but that's what I long for.

What are your small and large passions, the things that move you at a very deep level?
Poetry? Sunrises? Sunsets? Kittens? The bite of the tattoo needle into virgin skin for the first time?  I've read poetry but have never become truly engaged by it.  Sunrises and sunsets always catch me if they're really good, which means color in particular;  vivid, multi-layered ones get me big time.  Kittens and cats have been, and I hope will continue to be, a great part of my life.  Living with and communicating with a cat approaches a spiritual experience for me.  I began to design my own tattoos at an age when I wanted to kick the last vestiges of Christianity out of my life and become involved with other kinds of spirituality, particularly gay spirituality.     

Other? Music: classical music and opera ARE spiritual experiences for me.  I discovered both at age seven and never looked back.  Both, and opera in particular, have been huge in my personal and professional life.  If any of you know the number, "Everything was beautiful at the ballet" from A Chorus Line will know what it was like for me to discover opera.  Life at home was pretty bad, as I've mentioned before.  But opera, via its enormous emotional gesture, the thrill of the human voice unleashed to the fullest, and its inclusion of just about all the visual and performing arts, was a refuge, consolation, inspiration, and eventually an integral part of my profession as a stage designer.  Fritz does not particularly care for opera but he's a theater man who understands dramatic structure and knows good dialog; co-authoring opera libretti is just one more tie that binds us together.

Thanks, Erik!  I enjoyed doing this one.   

* Gambrinous: 1) a mythical king of Belgium who invented beer, 2) to be happy because of a stomach full of beer;
Griffonage: 1) crude or illegible handwriting, 2) scribbling.


************




Comments:
Thank you for sharing. You are a fascinating & sexy man. I am happy to have you in my orbit.
 
I loved reading your answers... It's clear that you are extremely content with your life. I like seeing your tats as well. :-)
 
I too enjoyed the answers.
 
Any rationale for the eclectic choice of questions? I enjoyed the answers, of course - how else is one to get to know a blogpal unless it's mememe every time?
 
David, I think the person who asked Erik the questions may have customized them to him. The beard question leads me to believe that (Erik's is much fuller than mine), although it certainly could apply to me as well. I actually enjoy doing these things for the very reason you mention. And, I do tend to think of myself as an eclectic kind of guy. :-)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?