Saturday, January 28, 2012

 
I looked by chance to see if there were any woodpeckers at the suet block late yesterday afternoon and saw a wild turkey on the driveway.  It had been a while since we'd had turkeys around the house, so I watched it for a short while.  It suddenly spread its wings and made a quick flight up into the trees where I saw several others.  This was a first for me -- I have seen these birds spread their wings and flap a bit but never fly; and I had never seen them preparing to roost for the night, which it soon became obvious was exactly what they doing. 


A couple of others came joined them and decided to move off to the right into the white pine trees, disappearing into their branches.  Fritz counted eight in all, three in the pines and the five above.  These turkeys are relatively big birds but as they walked around or hopped from one tree to another, the branches didn't bend or move in the slightest.  By the time the light failed completely they were all settled in for the night.

This morning Fritz urged me to get up and see if they were still there.  They were and already awake, with much flexing of wings and some preening of feathers.  Then the first one sprang off a branch and flew down to the woods floor, followed by the others and their day began.

*********


One of Fritz's three Amaryllis plants that are now just coming into bloom.  This one's back lit which pops the color up a lot.  Normally, their color is a deep, velvety shade of garnet.  we should have the flowers well into February.

*********   
Nurse reveals top 5 regrets of the dying
with thanks to Mark Huffaker of Scuff Productions

1) I wish I'd had the courage to live a life true to myself, not the life others expected of me.
2) I wish I didn't work so hard.
3) I wish I'd had the courage to express my feelings.
4) I wish I'd stayed in touch with my friends.
5) I wish that I'd let myself be happier.

*********


It's amazing what the Founding Fathers actually said as opposed to the words and sentiments that are frequently put in their mouths.  Jefferson also has a role in the development of the famed Erie Canal which, when completed, became the economic engine that made New York City the country's biggest and most financially prominent city.  When a delegation from the group that was working to gather financial support for constructing the 360 mile waterway across New York State approached Jefferson for government support, he said he wasn't sure the Constitution allowed such support but that the Courts would have to figure that out.  The Courts -- interesting, isn't it?

The one below is just delicious, I think.  Easily recognizable will be President Reagan, Secretary of State Dick Cheney, Attorney General Ed Meese (directly over Cheney's neck), and Vice-President Papa Bush.  The caption, of course, refers to the old Republican scam of trickle-down economics which might more accurately be re-captioned trickle-up economics --  or gush-up economics, given the current economic demographics in this country.


Comments:
I love all of the wild life that call home to your acreage. Amazing! Can't wait to see it again.
 
There are a number of crows who perch in the tall trees out behind my house, Will. Much as with your turkeys, I am amazed that they can perch on what appear to be the flimsiest of branches.

During a visit to Washington DC, during the W years, I was similarly struck by the inscriptions within the Jefferson Memorial.
 
Good words, indeed
I recently tried telling them to a young 20ish patient obviously going down a 'should' path rather than following his heart. I wonder if he will be brave enough to turn around now.
 
I am always amazed that the Christian Right has appropriated The Founding Fathers. Have they ever ead what they wrote?
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?