Saturday, October 29, 2011

 
One of Fritz's nephews has come into residence at the old house, built in 1792, that's down the hill near the Center.  He divides his time between New Hampshire and western Massachusetts where his current lady has a farm.  He returned from one of his trips yesterday with these two framed paintings.  They're done in either acrylics or oils -- I suspect the former but they do have something of the depth of oils -- on thin board.  She had found them at a yard sale and bought them with the idea of his bringing them here.  When we walked into the Center Friday morning, I took one look and immediately recognized the subject of the painting on the left.


When we went on our Snake and Columbia River riverboat cruise a year ago, one of the great sights on the Columbia east of Portland, Oregon was Multnomah Falls.  The highest falls in the state, Multnomah cascades down to join the Columbia in two stages with a pool in between:

The artist has taken some liberties to make the two cascades line up exactly.  So far Fritz, I, and anyone who has seen them comment on a very Japanese style to the painting.  Neither work is signed, although one of them has the initials LT written in pencil on the back of the board and both have an oval ink stamp of the New York Picture Frame Co. Inc. 638 E. Harrison St. Portland, Oregon, with the date 1920 in pencil.

At first I wasn't so sure which volcanic mountain in the northwest was the subject of the second painting, but I found a shot of Mount Hood taken from almost the exact same angle that the artist used and there's no doubt: 


For some reason my digital camera read the delicate color of gold on the trees and cliffs as more of an orange.  The effect on the actual paintings is rather more subtle.
 
My first thought was that they would be hung in the Center, probably in one of the bunk rooms upstairs where groups stay when in residence for a class or retreat,  But I'm becoming fonder of them the more I have them around and since one wing of the house is devoted almost exclusively to Asian art, I think they'll wind up here at the house.   They aren't great art necessarily but they have a sweet, honest quality about them, they're someone's personal work of locations he or she loved, they've survived for 91years including a trip across country, and they're views of a part of the country we now visit frequently and love a great deal ourselves.

*********

Andrew Sullivan on the GOP: "It is an entertainment company based around a religious identity politics and masquerading as a political party."

Yes!

Comments:
You've struck a fond place in my heart! Love it!
 
Hi Mr. Will,
I don't know you well enough to call you by first name.
I have been reading DB for so long, I feel like I should let you marry my brother...but,
I have seen we follow the same blogs.
Yours still amazes me, it is the only one I have read from start to finish.
It is just still as brilliant as it ever was except for that poster that blocks out some of your script sometimes.
Bless you and Mr. Fritz.
with love, tim in the loire
 
and a very successful company, especially out here.
 
Tim--I'm delighted you wrote and hope you will continue to visit now that you've commented.

I'm sure your brother is a lovely man, but I am happily off the market for some 14+ years. Thanks for reminding me to take the poster out of my side bar. I learned a while ago that for some people it stays in the side bar but for others it obscures text for some reason, but I kept forgetting to delete it. It is now gone.

Again, thanks for the very kind note. A bientôt!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?