Wednesday, October 13, 2010

 
Michael at Spo Reflections posted this Halloween meme.  I answered it on his blog and then posted the whole thing herewith my responses.  If anyone feels like answering any or all of it in the comments, I'd be delighted to get your take on the questions.

#1  What was the scariest movie you have ever seen?
Wizard of Oz.  I was 4 years old when my parents took me and the whole thing frightened me badly. I started crying loudly and was taken out of the theater.  Rather than console me or understand I was scared my parents, particularly my father, were very angry with me, which added scary on top of scary.  It was decades before I saw the movie complete.

#2  What was your favorite Hallowe’en costume as a child?
An inexpensive cotton gauze red devil costume and mask.  I was 5 years old and allowed to go trick or treating by myself within the confines of my apartment building complex by daylight.  It was an unusually warm Halloween and I perspired in the costume.  When I came home and took it off, my mother screamed and ran for me -- she thought I was covered in blood, as all the dye in the material had run.  I thought that was SO cool!

#3  Given enough money what would be your fantasy Hallowe’en costume?
I actually did a Pan/satyr costume one year with furry thighs, and a wig into which I placed carved styrofoam horns and fake grapes -- and nothing else.  My fantasy would be full Papal drag.

#4  When was the last time you went trick or treating?
 When my older daughter was 4 and dressed in a butterfly costume I had made her (Dr. Doug please note.  A Japanese butterfly kite was the wings).

#5  What is your favorite Hallowe’en candy? 
 Almond Joy

#6 Tell us about a scary nightmare you once had
Blessedly, too many years ago to remember any.

#7 What is your supernatural fear?
 That the Catholic Church might be right about things.

#8 What is your ‘creepy-crawlie’ fear?
 Ticks.  It's a New England thing.

#9 Tell us a time you saw a ghost or heard something go bump in the night
About ten years ago I my old (1860) house in Boston.  I distinctly heard someone climbing the creaky stairs at night.  I got out of bed silently and tiptoed to the head of the stairs -- nothing.  Absolutely nothing.

#10 Would you stay overnight in a real Haunted House?
 It would depend if the ghost was reputed to be benign or evil.  I would like to meet a benign spirit.

#11 Are you a traditionalist or a creative carver of your Jack-o-Lantern?
 I have fallen out of the practice of carving pumpkins -- I make them into pie instead!

#12 How much do you decorate the house at Hallowe’en?
Not at all.  I decorate the outside for fall with garlands of pine cones I've made, and sprays of bittersweet and other natural things.

#13 What do you want on your Tombstone?
 He loved his children dearly and tried to be a good man always

Comments:
What are you feelings on the Wizard of Oz today - can you enjoy it or did that ruin it for life?
 
Oh, I'm fine with it now, although it isn't necessarily one of my favorite movies for reasons that have nothing to do with the circumstances under which I first saw it.
 
Interesting meme...I saw Spos. Good fun.

Wizard of Oz!
 
thank you for playing along
I recommend you carve a pumpkin or two; jolly good fun and it gets you in touch with the mystism of the season.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?