Sunday, June 06, 2010

 
There's a Pulitzer Prize awarded for photojournalism and I wouldn't be surprised if this one wasn't nominated, or if it took the prize if it were:


It's a horrific document of just what the oil slick means to wildlife of all kinds and an further indictment, if such be needed, of our continuing dependence on petroleum, particularly that which is gotten by deep water drilling. I read today that Republican Representative from Alaska, Don Young has dismissed the oil spill resulting from BP's exploded rig as "not a national disaster", but "Nature taking its course". Were Rep. Young to be dipped in the oil and left to his own devices on the beach like this terrified bird, I wonder if he might not change his tune. But I also read that Rep. Young was firmly in the pocket of Big Oil.


Above is a computer model of how the oil spill will spread into the Atlantic when and if the Gulf Loop Current sweeps it into the Atlantic and up the east coast. Around Cape Hatteras, it spreads eastward, avoiding the Northeast but probably engulfing Bermuda whose economy depends to a large extent on luxury beach resorts. BP could find itself facing enormous damage payments to Bermuda if the tourist industry there died along with the beaches and the coral reefs that protect much of the island.

*******


The red lilies in the planter outside our bedroom window have divided and put out a gorgeous display this summer. A chipmunk has taken up residence under the little deck and gives me a scolding every time I walk by in a way he finds threatening.

The teardrop shaped object to the right of the windows is a hatching nest for mason bees. The females lay their eggs in the bamboo tubes and plaster over the openings with mud. Only one tube was filled last fall but the young bee or bees broke through the barrier and went out into Nature a month or so ago. We're hoping for more tubes to be used as incubators this fall.


A bird began building her nest on the ledge of the transom over our front door a week ago and is now sitting on her eggs. She used to flee any time we came near or opened the front door but now a combination of getting used to us and duty to her young keeps her on the nest. We're pretty sure she's an Eastern Phoebe. Pictures of several mouths sticking up in the air waiting to be fed when the happy time comes.

Comments:
:-(
 
The politicians who make noises of protest (or the worst ones who try to shrug off the whole thing) but have whored themselves out to big oil are the lowest form of life. So much could be done to turn things to clean energy so much faster, but the whole system has been horribly corrupted. In the meantime, defenseless, innocent animals are suffering for humanity's shortsightedness and stupidity. Truly tragic.
 
The lilies are beautiful. Good show!
 
I like how this post is bookended with pictures of bird. The first heart wrenching and the last picture full of life.

The oil disaster makes me sick. The helpless wildlife is what I feel most sorry for.

I love your lilies. And the deck with chairs make for an inviting setting: though I'd be leery of the bees behind whilst sipping an ice tea and reading my book. : )
 
The spill is heartbreaking and I want to strangle anyone who tries to minimize it. There's a reason nature buried that oil so firmly.

So cool about the bird's nest. Living in the city makes such occurences unlikely.
 
I love seeing the photos of your compound...& nice touch to start & end with birds.

I can't take the photos of the suffering of the animals from the spill... & move between heartache & rage.
 
I hope BP pays for everything. The environment is damaged...a whole generation killed.
 
I like the way combine the adirondack chairs with the little deck. I have the same chair like that. But the red lilies makes the outdoor setting looks beautiful. It's inspired me to make my own deck. Thanks
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?