Sunday, February 28, 2010

 
You guys obviously did a bang-up job of wishing us luck. Ten hours after I posted yesterday from the Epping Public library, we were on our way to bed when the lights popped on, the fridge revved up and we were back in business. We'd been 46 hours without power which wasn't all that much, but I was very ready to get the power back.

It began Thursday night at 11PM when the lights flashed on and off for fifteen or twenty seconds, then failed completely. I felt my way to a flashlight, and got my way to bed. There was no sound except for the roaring of the wind. It kept accelerating to the point that I was hearing what people who have experienced a tornado bearing down on them describe -- a speeding freight train.

A year or so ago a tornado struck, causing extensive damage and one death in Deerfield, a town just to the northwest of us. I wondered if the house would withstand a tornado. I watched it being built; it's put together like a fortress but tornadoes rip such buildings apart all the time. Where would we go? Built on a slab, the house offers no basement shelter. I couldn't fall asleep -- every time the roar became louder and the trees whipped violently back and forth outside, I wondered if this was it. By 2:30 the winds had dropped sufficiently to let me sleep.

Friday night I slept at the beginning but came bolt awake at 3:45 and that was it for me. So last night after we'd played cribbage by three candles and an oil lamp, I was fading fast. But I perked up noticeably when the power came on. "So, now you'll be up all night on the computer", Fritz laughed and I said no, I'd just check my eMail and Facebook and come to bed. Which I did and I slept deeply all night.

With the power out, a reading candle behind the sofa with a pie tin reflector taped to a big metal office-style bookend.

Snow and ice melting into dish washing water in my French grandmother's big iron dutch oven on the wood stove.

Comments:
Hey Will, We're glad the power's back on for you. We were lucky this time and didn't loose power at all. IT just blinked three times over the period of about 1-2 minutes Friday night during the height of the wind here. But we never lost it. Half of the town didn't, as did half of all the towns in NH.
It's strange that such little things now cause us such complete chaos. Our infrastructure is severely impaired. We should have had our lines buried years ago. It makes no sense to keep them in the air in this climate, unless of course, you factor in costs. We mustn't do anything that interferes with profits.
But I digress.... I am glad you are fine and have your power back.
 
OUr good wishes to you only took 10 hours to come through, eh? I'm just glad that you're back in business. And I'm also glad to see that your husband isn't the only husband to make snarky comments about the computer.
 
I know you two will disagree, but that sounds fun, exciting and cozy. I am glad things are well again.

BTW - it remains cold/windy in Key West so it was not 'us'
 
Michael, I knew it wasn't "us" -- you all provided a warmth that made up for nature's failure.

Arnie, Hmmmm, now which other husband would that be? :-)

Stan, I'm totally with you on burying the lines. This last storm was the second time in 14 months that huge portions of the state have ground to a halt. Yes, it will be expensive -- but what about the cost of bringing in all those crews from half way across the country, having them work 18 hour days, along with the gasoline, new poles, cable and other equipment?

Doing the whole state will be an enormous undertaking, but if they just started doing the central business areas of each town, then when the outages happen, business will be able to operate and supply things people need to get them through. Now it's extremely difficult to find gasoline, lamp oil and wicks, drinking water, and other necessities because the power failures close so many businesses.

Why they would rather put the lines up year after year in all the same places is beyond me.
 
I was surprised that while we where experiencing the same thing on this side of the Atlantic, you were too.

I sat here in the Loire Valley on Saturday night listening to the same Roar, things crashing on the roof, and thought about heading to our caves for safety!
One doesn't "mess with mother nature" ...be well
 
46 hours wasn't that long? Mine was out for 12 and I thought that was bad! You're a much better gay man than me.
 
Ah, nature - good to be reminded of its force, as I think you probably have been all winter. And here, at last in London, a bright, mild day.
 
The blackout in NYC in 1976.

Mt. St Helens in Spokane in 1980.

The great ice storm of 2005 in Portland.

We survivied them all with nerve, verve, & humor. The last week of 2008 we were snowed in- the Husband, Tad, the dogs & me... we played Scrabble, Uno, Dominos, & spin the bottle.

Nice to have you back.
 
I'm glad your power came back on and it wasn't a tornado. Some of my favorite memories were of my family and the entire population of the dead-end street we lived on crowded into our basement by kerosene lamp. In Western Kentucky, storms were almost always bad, though I'm happy to say I've only ever been in the presence of a tornado once.
 
I am loving your reading candle...
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?