Monday, October 19, 2009

 
Just over a week--I didn't intend to let the blog stay idle so long. I plead a run of good weather that's had me outside every day doing as much of my outdoor project list as possible while the weather remains benign.

The weekend of the 9th through 11th, we hosted a workshop/retreat presented by the Body Electric School. There were 17 in all, both presenters and participants, for whom we cooked and tidied up. We believe totally in what Body Electric does and are always delighted to have them with us. Fritz first brought them here some time in the early 90s. It was a very good group, with whom we had a lot of fun. Just about everyone went home after the event ended Sunday evening, although three stayed until Monday morning--and one man stayed until Wednesday, spending a memorable Monday and Tuesday night with us. And yes, that means what you think it does.

We received another delivery of trees and bushes to plant early last week, including three dwarf peach trees (the trees are dwarf, the peaches regulation size), an andromeda, a big rose-colored dogwood, three clethera (I now have a plethora of clethera), a viburnum, and a dozen rhododendrons of various varieties and sizes from dwarf to anything goes. We dug and dug and got them all into the ground before the rains came on Sunday.

*******

I had my annual physical this morning. I'm very fortunate in my doctor and the HMO of which he's a member. I'd gone in to have blood taken last week so that he'd had all the test results in when we sat down to talk.

The visit didn't begin well. I'd just about gotten my clothing off when the alarms sounded, a mechanized voice announced an (unidentified) emergency in the building and told us all to evacuate. I got dressed again as quickly as possible and headed for the stairwell. We stood out in the cold for fifteen or twenty minutes, some people with IV drips in their arms, watching the fire and police vehicles arrive before the all clear was given and we were allowed back inside.

My doctor said the blood test numbers were my best ever. I got my (regular) flu shot. They don't have the swine flu vaccine in yet; he told me he's of two minds about it but that I could have it if I chose. We'll see.

Then it was time for the proctology exam. He always gives a nice one but there was a delay while he fished around unsuccessfully in several drawers for a tube of lube. He kept saying this is so embarrassing but I told him that as a gay man, I'd had several experiences where I was all set to go but the other guy couldn't find the lube. We both laughed and he stopped being so upset.

One of the best parts of my visits to him is that when the business is finished, he stays for five or ten minutes to ask about my current projects and talk about art, architecture and design with me. It's a really pleasant way to end the exam.

*******

A couple of bits of humor that have come our way recently:

A SPANISH Teacher was explaining to her class that in Spanish, unlike English, nouns are designated as either masculine or feminine.

'House' for instance, is feminine: 'la casa.'
'Pencil,' however, is masculine: 'el lapiz.'

A student asked, 'What gender is 'computer'?'

Instead of giving the answer, the teacher split the class into two groups, male and female, and asked them to decide for themselves whether 'computer' should be a masculine or a feminine noun. Each group was asked to give four reasons for its recommendation.

The men's group decided that 'computer' should definitely be of the feminine gender ('la computadora'), because:

1. No one but their creator understands their internal logic;

2. The native language they use to communicate with other computers is incomprehensible to everyone else;

3. Even the smallest mistakes are stored in long term memory for possible later retrieval; and

4. As soon as you make a commitment to one, you find yourself spending half your paycheck on accessories for it.


The women's group, however, concluded that computers should be Masculine ('el computador'), because:

1. In order to do anything with them, you have to turn them on;

2. They have a lot of data but still can't think for themselves;

3. They are supposed to help you solve problems, but half the time they ARE the problem; and

4. As soon as you commit to one, you realize that if you had waited a little longer, you could have gotten a better model.

The women won.


*******

From a friend of Fritz's:


How Twins are Made

Comments:
a plethora of ???

ouch ;o
 
Plethora....my word for the day.
 
Your comment to your Dr, and the picture of the twins literally made my day! VERY funny!! Hope all is continuing to go well w/your week!
 
Great logic in the arguments about the sex of computers.

I always enjoy visiting your blog!
 
The Husband & I did the Body Electric workshop & found it to be life changing... if only we had been able to stay an extra couple of days with you as our hosts...
always good to practice right after you learn.

Thanks for posting, we miss you when you are gone.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?