Thursday, July 30, 2009

 

It's that time of summer again when I get in the jeep and head westward to Coopperstown, NY, home of the Baseball Hall of Fame (yes, I have been there and loved it) for the Glimmerglass Opera. On the shores of Lake Otesaga, called Glimmerglass in James Fennimore Cooper's Leatherstocking Tales, the Festival produces four operas each year in well rehearsed and interestingly conceived interpretations by major directors like Francesca Zambello, Mark Lamos and, this summer, Jonathan Miller.

This year there's the wonderful add-on of the once universally popular but now rarely encountered historical grand opera Les Huguenots by Giacomo Meyerbeer at Bard College's Summer Festival, just a few miles south of the route I normally take to get to Cooperstown.

I'm taking the laptop this year but have no idea of WiFi availability in the area. I stay at a B&B on a farm in the countryside and there isn't a Starbucks anywhere near Cooperstown. The opera's grounds may be wired but I may also find I just have no access until I get back Sunday night. See you then if not before.

Comments:
I managed two summers in Cooperstown for Glimmerglass - what a wonderful experience it was. I envy you that and Huguenots - one of my favorite operas. Have a wonderful time and I want to hear all about it.
 
Jonathan Miller. La Traviata. Jealous.
 
Have a great time! Remember...if you have time, hit the American Hotel in Sharon Springs and say hi to Doug and Garth for me (the owners)....they'll take good care of you.
 
Enjoy!
 
Hope you have a superb trip!
 
Hey--- yes--- go to the hotel in Sharon Springs and say hello to Garth and Doug--- they know us (Mark and Tim who moved to New Zealand)! They are great!! I am jealous, btw; I used to enjoy the Glimmerglass season so much!!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?