Friday, May 22, 2009

 

***Will & Fritz, May 23, 1997, Twelve Years*****Married, May 23, 2004, Five Years***

************************************************************************************


This handsome drawing currently hangs on one wall of our dining nook in the kitchen. It's the landscaping plan that was my Christmas gift from Fritz and its going to be a four or five year plan. This year we're going to concentrate on the big English garden, the densely planted area directly in front of the biggest room of the house, the great room; and we'll also put in any fruit trees and berry bushes that are called for.


This is The Triangle--the English garden with about half of the good loam in place. A second big load was delivered today.


All week as I've been building rock walls and digging in various parts of the property,
I've had little toads like the cute guy above popping out of rock piles and holes in the ground, keeping me company. Despite using insect repellent, I've also had the black flies at me constantly, and they aren't welcome at all.

Fritz has the vegetable garden plots planted and a lot of the seed has already sprouted. He put the seed potatoes in today. We're using Milorganite, a fertilizer made from the City of Milwaukee's sewage (it's perfectly safe, an excellent soil nutrient, and because it retains a scent of humans as far as animals are concerned, it should protect the gardens from deer and woodchucks).


*******

Here's a meme come to me from Dr. Michael, Spo of Spo Reflections:

1. What is your current obsession?
Exterior landscaping

2. What do you see outside your window?
Birches, shagbark hickories, and white pines gently swaying in the breeze.

3. If you could have any super power what would it be?
The ability to end the hatred and bigotry coming from the radical Right and Christian sects in this country.

4. What is your favorite color?
Orange—-a rich, dark orange tinged with gold

5. Who was the last person you hugged?
Fritz—are we all surprised?

6. Which animal w-ould you be?
Some kind of cat—possibly a leopard.

7. What’s for dinner?
Baked haddock, Fordhook lima beans, whole wheat rotini, and Fritz’s maple syrup and walnut pie, accompanied by a bottle of a good New York State champagne.

8. What’s the last thing you bought?
Eggs and an iced coffee

9. What are you listening to right now?
The Colbert Report, preceded by Haydn string quartets

10. What are your current favorite films?
The Leopard (do we see a pattern here?), The Queen of Spades, anything with Helen Mirren

11. What’s on your bedside table?
A couple of issues of Opera News, my alarm clock and two books: Lost History--The enduring legacy of Muslim scientists, thinkers and artists; and God’s Crucible—-Islam and the Making of Europe, 570-1215.

12. If you could have a house totally paid for, and fully furnished, anywhere in the world, where would it be?
Southern Spain (Granada, Ronda, Cordoba) or southern France (Avignon, Arles, Aix-en-Provence)

13. What would you like to have in your hands right now?
(blush) OK, I’m a gay guy, do the math

14. What is your favorite children’s book?
The Bungling Ballerinas--can be enjoyed with no knowledge of ballet, but hysterical as a satire if you know the New York dance scene

15. What is your favorite tea flavor?
Lychee Black Tea

16. What is your favorite article of clothing?
My collection of T-shirts with embroidered Northwest Native American art on them—purchased in Tacoma, WA

17. If you could go anywhere in the world for the next hour, where would you go?
An outdoor café in Aix-en-Provence or Capri

18. What did you want to become as a child?
A painter or an art woodworker. Becoming a scenic designer meant that I essentially became both, and more besides.

19. What posters/pictures do you have on your bedroom wall?
A variety of Chinese paintings on rice paper, hand-colored paper cuts, and wood block prints. Then in oils, two anonymous but lovely 19th century landscapes, a portrait of an ancestor of Fritz’s who was taken prisoner by the British in the War of 1812, and a large genre scene by a late 19th/EARLY 20th century painter over our bed

20. What is your plan for tomorrow?
Work in the front garden, then entertain my oldest friend in the world and his wife for lunch and a tour of the house and property

21. What was your first job?
Stock boy at a card and gift shop

22. Say something to the person/s who tagged you:
Michael, I'd really like to meet you in person sometime in the not too distant future

23. Post a favorite childhood photograph of yourself:


There's no date on this picture. I'm going to guess I was about 18 months old. I was told that as a child I had copper-colored hair but that soon deepened into a standard dark brown. Interestingly, I've always had a thing for red heads.

For the first four and a half years of my life, we lived in Manhattan, on West 72nd Street between Broadway and West End Avenue. I loved it there. A block away there was a park that stretched for miles up and down the bank of the Hudson River. Chasing pigeons was one of my specialties. There were shops and the subway and places to go--and even when we were at home, there was a small terrace overlooking the busy street and it was fun just to observe life going by. There was so much of it.

At four and a half, my family moved out to Queens to a newly built apartment project in Rego Park. I hated it. The neighborhood was dead. Shopping or parks were miles away. Manhattan was an hour away via a long walk or a bus, a local subway changing to express train after three stops for a half hour ride into where it was all really going on. I was bored out of my mind; we were isolated in Nowheresville--stories for posts to come.

Comments:
Congratulations!!!!!
The first 12 are the hard part.
We will have our 30th & 5th in October.; Wishing you both the very best.

The garden is getting very exciting. I can't wait to swap pics.

xxxooo
 
Indeed congratulations on your anniversary.
It should be easy for me to remember as it is the anniversary of me moving to Arizona. 4 years here.

Thank you for playing along with the MEME.

I read at DougT's you have had some surprising bottoms; please send me a few right away.
 
Ken and Hugh wish you guys the happiest anniversary in the universe!
 
Thanks to all of you for the congrats! We're going out to a local bistro (yes, a Mediterranean bistro in rural New Hampshire--and a GOOD one!) for dinner with another (straight) couple who are dear friends, very funny and just the kind of people you'd ant to celebrate with.

Stephen--pictures WILL ensue, I promise.

Ken and Hugh--thanks! Big hugs to you both.

Michael--I almost could; the area has an overload of bottoms!
 
Happy Anniversary!! Many many more years to come.

xoxox
 
Happy anniversaries to both you and Fritz. Leon and I married about 8 months before you guys did. We did not attempt to tie our wedding to another anniversary date- mainly because we didn't want to get married during the winter.

My word verification is fundie. Goodness, I hope not!
 
I can't believe it....12 years! Just six months ahead of us! We'll have to raise a glass when you're here. Giant hugs and many wishes for great success and happiness....down deep inside where it counts.
 
Thanks so much for your sweet way of telling us that it's your anniversay ttoday! Congratulations to you both, & may there be many more to come!
 
Congratulations! And I love your choice on anywhere to be. I ache to be in Aix (sorry, I couldn't resist--hmmm, does it still rhyme without the -en-Provence?) or anywhere in that neighborhood. A truly wonderful part of the world!
 
Many congratulations!!!!

We got tired of waiting for the law to catch up with us so we had our wedding a year before Civil Partnerships became legal in the UK. We couldn't get the same date so we ended up with a little confusion as to when our anniversary was. I'm pushing to keep it mobile by using the first Saturday after Mardi Gras :-)

It's always great to hear of couples who keep it together. That's not a 'gay' thing, it seems like it's harder for everyone these days.
 
Know what you mean, Nine. I love it when guys get together and make a go of it. One thing I've always felt in light of some severe criticism by gay activists that gay marriage is "the end of gay" is that we don't do it to imitate heterosexual marriage--it's different in gay culture and we define it for ourselves, one couple at a time. I think first Saturday after Mardi Gras is just great.
 
Well, it makes sense to us. We had our wedding in the heart of New Orleans on that day after Mardi Gras. It was also Hubby's birthday which seemed great only he likes the separation of birthday and anniversary gifts.

We suffered many legal issues to stay together over the years. I'm all about the rights. I do understand the fight for 'marriage', though at the same time I'm proud to be part of something new and important, irrespective of the name.

Can't wait for those gay divorces, though. It'll be like Dallas and Dynasty all rolled into one :-)
 
Happy Anniversary to you guys!!
 
Happy belated anniversary to you and Fritz! I hope you boys had a lovely day! I love the old photograph of you also. I love old photos and I am spending a little time at the moment repairing some old ones for my dad with photoshop. This ones a cracker! As we say over here :-)
 
Howdy Will, congrats on your anniversary. And good luck with the sale this weekend..i'm sure you have lots of cool stuff that will disappear in short order. And that landscape plan looks so ambitious! But you are certainly chipping away at it. What are the whirlygig forms at the back of your house, may i ask?
 
Sam, that area right behind the house is a wide flat swale that's made up of gravel and rounded pebbles to drain water to drainage pipes under the house that divert it away from the slab and down hill. Her idea was a somewhat whimsical way of using up the tons and tons of rock we have on the property from blasting the ledge so the house can sit into the hillside.

As it happens I have use for almost all the rock in making retaining walls, etc. I don't think I;ll do those swirls, BUT the snaking double line she drew uncannily echoes an idea one of our friends had--outline a "stream" with rocks through the swale. Build little "islands" in the stream with rock and soil, plant bulbs in them. Fill the rest of the stream with architectural crushed and rounded glass in aqua or other blue and have a kind of flowing Japanese garden. THAT idea appeals a lot to me.
 
Awh, the photo is too precious!!!! I love it!!
 
Oh crapola. Just read! HAPPY HAPPY BELATED ANNIVERSARY!!

PS. Ahem! I hope you got 'lucky'! I'm so bad! :-)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?