Thursday, March 19, 2009

 
I’ve taken the day off, or at least off from business. I attended to a lot of family affairs, did errands with Fritz, baked bread, etc. Yesterday had been very busy but quite successful. The bulk of the day was taken up driving out to Greenfield, MA and delivering the first day of a two-day symposium on the four great composers of 19th century Italian opera: Rossini, Bellini, Donizetti, and Verdi. It went well—this is my third year with the Greenfield Community College Symposia—and the reception was warm, friendly and enthusiastic. I have more work to do on next Wednesday’s second and final section but today I needed to take a break.

*******

OK, it’s a meme 0f 3s. My friend Paul (aka Paolo) from Portland, Maine tagged me for this on Facebook and I thought I might as well double dip with it:

Three Names I go by
1. Will
2. Bill
3. Willy-boy (only by one particular friend, but from him I like it)

Three Jobs I’ve had in my life
1. Theatrical designer
2. Technical Illustrator
3. Salesman in the Sporting Goods Department in Macy’s, NY (for two summers in high
school, placed there because I was a teenaged male, not because I knew the
first thing about sporting goods or about sports in general)

Three Places I have lived
1. New York City
2. Middlebury, VT
3. Roslindale, MA

Three TV Shows that I watch
1. BBC News
2. Good Morning America
3. Ugly Betty



Three places I have been
1. Marimbula, Australia
2. Kiev, Ukraine

3. Tangier, Morocco

Three people that e-mail me regularly
1. My younger daughter
2. My older daughter
3. My best friend since college

Three of my favorite foods
1. butternut squash
2. bluefish
3. peaches

Three things I would like to do
1. Get a book published
2. Work as dramaturg for an opera company
3. Visit northern Italy

Three Things I am looking forward to
1. Getting the new garden up and running
2. Meeting my granddaughter some time in August just after she’s born.
3. Designing Benjamin Britten’s The Prodigal Son for production in September

Anyone who'd like to, please pick this up and have some fun with it, please go right ahead.

*******

First mosquitoes and now
ticks—for whatever reason, I’m a parasite magnet. I have friends who are never bitten by anything while mosquitoes swarm around me. I’ve lived here full time for just over 19 months, many of them winter months, and already Fritz and/or I have pulled three ticks out of various parts of my body. If you’ve never had one, trust me you’re lucky. I woke up Tuesday with #3 firmly embedded in my left thigh, probably picked up while collecting sap from the big sugar maples that mark the line between mowed grass and the woods down by Fritz’s Center.

Must be my hot Italian blood.


Comments:
I'll pick it up
 
I am a little bit obsessed with BBC news. I check in with the 24 hour channel and the website way too many times a day. And speaking of Operas, I have played 'Vissi Darte' to death today. Sometimes I get a piece of music in my head and it sends me off in a little journey. If you check out my 'Videos' section of my blog you will see a video I have made using that piece against some images from the problems in Northern Ireland over this past many years. Somehow this piece of music seemed just right for this particular video. I hope you and Fritz have a wonderful weekend :-)
 
Three names I go by
1. Jonathan
2. J.P.
3. Jo Nathan (teacher in high school)

Three Jobs I've had in my life
1. Librarian Assistant
2. Server
3. Bookstore clerk

Three places I have lived
1. Central City, KY
2. Evansville, IN
3. Lexington, KY

Three TV Shows that I Watch
1. The Rachel Maddow Show
2. House
3. Family Guy

Three places I have been (via books - I haven't travel much in real time.)
1. Arches National Monument
2. Nigeria
3. Fantastica

Three people that e-mail me regularly
1. my best friend
2. my aunt
3. a new-found cousin

Three of my favorite foods
1. wonton soup
2. eggplant parmesan
3. apples

Three things I would like to do
1. get a book(s) published
2. hike the Appalachian Trail
3. own a home with a huge garden

Three things I am looking forward to
1. being in love again
2. seeing my family soon
3. getting my Masters
 
PS it's good that you don't live any further south. I'm sure with climate change, the ticks and mosquitoes here will soon be the size of small pets and will be able to open doors and windows while we sleep...;)
 
Three names I go by
1. Mike
2. Michael
3. Mikey (not anymore, thank you)

Three Jobs I've had in my life
1. Messenger
2. Airport Operations
3. Travel agent

Three places I have lived
1. Methuen, Mass.
2. Bethesda, Maryland
3. Washington, DC

Three TV Shows that I Watch
1. The Amazing Race
2. LOST
3. Ugly Betty

Three places I have been (via books - I haven't travel much in real time.)
1. Fairbanks, Alaska
2. Bangkok, Thailand
3. Iguazu Falls, Argentina

Three people that e-mail me regularly
1. my clients
2. my partner
3. Falcon Studios

Three of my favorite foods
1. lasagne
2. cortons
3. scallops

Three things I would like to do
1. visit Australia
2. cross the Atlantic by ship
3. write a play

Three things I am looking forward to
1. playing tennis (badly) in warmer weather
2. Congress passing significant legislation
3. The end of AIDS/HIV.
 
Oh, and I've been to the places listed for real, not in books. There's a danger when you copy/paste templates.
 
Three names I go by
1. Sam
2. Sammy (Steven calls me that)
3. Mister (Steven calls me that)

Three Jobs I've had in my life
1. Technical Illustrator
2. Barrista (NOT starbucks)
3. China & Silver salesperson

Three places I have lived
1. Atlanta, GA
2. Hilton Head Island, SC
3. Athens, OH

Three TV Shows that I Watch
1. Real Time with Bill Maher
2. Mad Men
3. The Rachel Maddow Show

Three places I have been
1. the Huangshan, Anhiu Province, China
2. the village of Villebrumier, France
3. the Appalachian Trail

Three people that e-mail me regularly
1. Steven, my partner
2. my Mom
3. Barack Obama (let the campaign NEVER end!)

Three of my favorite foods
1. Tomatoes
2. Cheeses, all of them
3. Tarts, preferably with the above. Or with roquefort and pears. or carmelized onions. Or fresh fruit and cream

Three things I would like to do
1. acquire a bed & breakfast somewhere beautiful
2. spend a summer on Lake Como in northern Italy
3. make a home somewhere that cars are not required.

Three things I am looking forward to
1. my vegetable garden this summer
2. meeting some old friends at an alumni event later this spring.
3. preparing a porterhouse on the grill shortly.
 
Three Names I go by
1. Stephen
2. Steve
3. Stevie-boy (only the spouse, but from him I like it)

Three Jobs I’ve had in my life
1. Actor
2. Music Expert for ASCAP
3. Waiter

Three Places I have lived
1. New York City
2. LA
3. Seattle

Three TV Shows that I watch
1. 30 Rock
2. Mad Men
3. Ugly Betty

Three places I have been
1. Venice, Italy
2. Vancouver BC
3. Paris

Three places I would love to visit
1. Tangier
2. Sydney
3.The Seychelles

Three people that e-mail me regularly
1. My husband
2. Erika
3. RCK

Three of my favorite foods
1. Pizza
2. Fried potato products of any kind
3. Avocado

Three things I would like to do
1. win a Tony Award
2. have a hit recording
3. to be thought of as sophisticated/smart

Three Things I am looking forward to
1. working in the garden (what a long winter)
2. laying on a beach in the sun
3. being healthy & happy
 
I'm too tired to do the meme. Just wanted to pop in long enough to say, "Ticks! Ewwwww!"

We now return you to your regularly scheduled blog. ;)
 
Three Names I go by
1. Åge
2. Babaji
3. Yeshe Palden

Three Jobs I’ve had in my life
1. Ticket collector at the Rodeo cars in Tivoli, Copenhagen
2. Engineer
3. House painter

Three Places I have lived
1. Copenhagen
2. Katmandu
3. Santa Cruz, CA

Three TV Shows that I watch (I don’t watch TV, but I have watched these on DVD)
1. Part of ‘Lost’
2. Part of ‘Dead like me’
3. All of ‘City of Men’

Three places I have been
1. Konakry, Guinea
2. Herat, Afghanistan
3. Lawudo, Nepal

Three people that e-mail me regularly
1. A friend in Japan
2. A friend in Ghana
3. My cousin

Three of my favorite foods
1. Cheese
2. Fish
3. Fruit

Three things I would like to do
1. Get a book published (Seems to be a staple)
2. Visit friends and family in Denmark
3. Have a show of my art

Three Things I am looking forward to
1. Getting the new garden up and running
2. Going to Dunun Village, African dance and music gathering in May
3. Making more ceramics
 
Hmmm--getting a garden organized and on its way seems also to be a common thread. Delightful!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?