Friday, December 12, 2008

 
I drove to New York City yesterday in horrendous conditions of torrential rain, road flooding and highway closures. I had a ticket at the MET for the new production of Massenet's Thais starring Renee Fleming, of which more at another time. I checked into my motel in Southern Connecticut and what would normally be a one hour final leg of the trip into the city took two and a half hours. Just incredible amounts of water were coming out of the sky and I'm just happy it wasn't cold enough for it to be snow. Radio meteorologists said it would have amounted to several feet if it had been.

Coming back after the performance was worse. To get from Manhattan to the Riverdale section of the Bronx via the West Side Highway--normally twenty minutes--took one hour forty-five. I woke up this morning unable to call Fritz because the phones appear to be out in southern New Hampshire. From what I gather there was a big storm there and if power and phones are out, they could be out for a couple of days, and internet would be gone, too. I hope you'll hear from me soon, but if it doesn't happen, that will be why.

Comments:
Yikes! I hope that the opera was good enough to be worth the ordeal/ Looking forward to seeing you guys.
 
the weather here sucks. no power in raymond/chester area since about 10:30 last night. a state of emergency has been declared for both MA & NH. it's seriously ugly...

cell phones still work, though. ;)

be safe!
 
Drive safely. You may want to stay down south a little longer rather than come back here. In central MA, it's hovering around freezing, with ice still on the trees in this town and completely melted off in the next down over. I imagine it's far worse in NH.
 
I've been hearing horror stories about the weather today.... be careful! You need to be home with your man, up on the hill, in the new house, with the fire going! And a cup of tea too!
 
It rained from the moment I woke up to the moment I went to bed. It was horrid.
 
The ice storms in the Merrimack Valley and southern New Hampshire were particularly damaging, many people still without power. I will be spending Saturday calling my brothers and sisters to find out how they are coping. I imagine a lot of wood-burning fireplaces will be activated.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?