Wednesday, July 02, 2008

 
We started a vegetable garden last week, pretty late in the game, but it’s not like we haven’t been doing other things. I’d always wondered where we might plant vegetables up here on the hillside, but Fritz pointed out the obvious—above the house on the slope leading up to the photovoltaic arrays.

The site is ideal in many ways—virtually 100% of available sun due to the trees having been cut away so as not to shade the solar panels, easy access via the bridge out the back of the second floor, the land up there is already stripped bare. So far, so good but there were some disadvantages—gardening on a slope isn’t always the easiest thing to do, the soil’s not great because it’s super-drained and therefore doesn’t retain water a lot, when it rains the soil can wash out because of the steepness of the grade.

What we did was to rescue some flats of tomatoes, green peppers, cucumbers and parsley, along with a pot of thyme, at a nursery where they were plainly past their “sell by” date but still viable. I had bought a huge bag of fertilized composted manure and we mixed a lot of it into the holes we dug for each plant, and we used some of the thousands of stone fragments that are everywhere to construct little walls around each plant to combat erosion and help retain water.

The next step was mulch and we were a leg up on this one. Fritz needed some trees taken down a couple of years ago and had the chipped wood dumped in a big pile near one of the two parking areas. It’s still in pretty good condition, but broken down just enough to retain moisture well. We’re ferrying big cartons full of the stuff up to the hillside; Fritz’s idea is to mulch as much of the hill as possible to help the vegetables and to control soil erosion. All things considered, it feels good to be planting something again.

*******

I never really got into the whole HNT thing but when I mentioned my recent weight loss and toning up, romach dropped a pretty broad hint that he’d like to see a little skin as evidence. So, here’s the new torso:



And some upper arm:


*******

I’ve also been working inside. Our mechanical room is becoming is a great pantry/general storage space. On one chunk of wall between storage shelves and a metal utility cabinet, I did a hanging tool arrangement:


As Fritz likes to point out, I’m a strong J according to the Meyers-Briggs Type Indicator.

*******

The Wit and Wisdom of George W. Bush

One of the common denominators I have found is that expectations rise above that which is expected.

Comments:
Your looking fantastic buddy! :-) Good on ya for all the hard work. We have our little vegetable garden too. I got my first little rounds of potatos from it yesterday and they were delish! Keep at it!
 
Wow, you look great! Enjoy the garden.

Love the tat's! :)
 
Keep up what you are doing in the gardening of your body, it looks very good Will! Nice tatts too, by the way.
 
You're in great shape! Terrific!

As for the gardening, have you considered a stepped approach? It takes work to shape the slope that way and support each step so it doesn't wash away, but it can give you a much better structure for your gardening over the long run.
 
next year, when you start from seed, I have a marvelous source for seeds; and i have lots of heirloom tomato ideas for you to consider!
 
Guys--thanks for the ego boost! It feels really great to be in this condition and I'm going to work to keep myself that way.

romach--by coincidence, Fritz is about to put some potatoes in--if the torrential rains we've been having all night ever subside.

Matt and Sam--the ink is important to me, part of my spiritual connection with nature and to my fellow gay men. Truth to tell, I'm not too far from being pagan. I'll have to tell that story some day on the blog.

Jess--yes, we're going to terrace with landscaping ties. We've planned on raised beds all along but building them for this summer isn't an option given all the other things we need to do. The cliff, still unsettled from the blasting needed to prepare the construction site, has to be made stable before we can work on what's on top. It'll be a small garden this year and much more what we really want next summer.

spo--thanks! Any and all suggestions will be gratefully received.
 
Hey Will, thanks for your comments on my blog. Glad I discovered yours. I added you to my blogroll.


Greg
 
Will;

I also thought of terracing for your garden and jess suggested it first, but given your exterior architecture, wouldn't stone terraces look better...ala the Incas or something. Sure, it would be a lot of work, but over time it could be worth it.
 
Looking good bro!
 
and the tats were a surpise as they are less common in our age bracket. that said they look good.
 
Good luck with the garden. And congrats on the way the workout is going. You're looking great!
 
Your blog is so funny. There are more laughs here than any other blog. Keep posting!
 
Nice tats! Great body too! Wish my bod would look something like that one day... :-)
 
Looking good! I was also going to suggest terracing the garden, but Jess beat me to it.

New England was never great for gahdening, and that's why so many people in Ohio, Michigan, Illinois and Iowa trace their ancestry through the rocky, unforgiving soil of New England.
 
Looking great. though I have no idea what you were concerned about in the first place...:P

Great tatts too, looks like those colours go deep...LOL

I am still to get my first tattoo. It is not the ouch factor just the $$$...Hehe
 
Awesome progress... with both the weight AND on the home-front. I did not ever think that organizational skills were representative of the J factor.

I guess that's why I'm a P!!!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?