Thursday, July 31, 2008

 
I’m hitting the road today for a long weekend away, giving Fritz yet another good excuse to claim being an opera widow. Tonight I’ll be at a rare performance of Polish composer Karol Szymanowski’s masterpiece, King Roger. First performed in 1926, it’s a retelling of the great play by Euripides, The Bacchae, set in 12th century Sicily during the time when the French monarchy there had adopted Arab culture and ran a tolerant, multicultural society.


I’ll be meeting blogger Alan Ilagan in Albany for lunch on Friday before heading further west to Cooperstown, NY for my annual weekend at the
Glimmerglass Opera festival. The program this summer is built around works based on Shakespeare:

Bellini’s I Capuletti ed I Montecchi (The Capulets and the Montagues) based on the Italian sources Shakespeare used for Romeo and Juliet;

Wagner’s Das Liebesverbot (Love Banned) based on Measure for Measure;

Cole Porter’s musical comedy Kiss Me, Kate based on The Taming of the Shrew;

Handel’s Giulio Cesare in Egitto (Julius Caesar in Egypt) which has in common with Shakespeare’s Julius Caesar only that Caesar appears in both;

and a concert performance of the complete incidental music to A Midsummer Night’s Dream by Felix Mendelssohn, including the solo songs and chorus numbers.

I’ll be back Sunday night—have a great mid-summer weekend!

*******

The Wit and Wisdom of George W. Bush

I mean, there needs to be a wholesale effort against racial profiling, which is illiterate children

Comments:
Have a great weekend buddy, that collection of performances sounds great to me.
 
Dotcha just love Glimmerglass? I saw Kiss Me, Kate and Julio Ceasare in Egitto. LOVED THEM! Enjoy your visit to Cooperstown!
 
I've been going to the Stratford Festival in Canada for 27 years; The Bacchae is still one of the most memorable plays i have ever seen there; i would love to see it again. What an opera it must make!
I envy you that you get to see these atypicals; out here we only get the old war-horses.
 
Hope you're having a great weekend! Drive carefully--there are lots of crazies on the roads!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?