Friday, January 11, 2008

 

I'm an out-cast!


My x-rays looked fine this morning at the orthopedist's office, and I was ushered into a small conference room rather than the big examining room I had become used to. I took this as an encouraging sign, which the doctor confirmed. I'm now free of the skiboot cast except in very challenging outdoor walking conditions. I have a small strap-on ankle brace that allows me to wear regular shoes. I can walk around indoors without crutches or a cane. Outdoors I'll use one crutch or maybe both of them if snow and ice conditions are bad.

Through early February I'll have six or eight physical therapy sessions, although she was pleased with the amount of mobility I'd gotten back in the ankle joint by exercising it regularly. I'll have a final appointment with the doctor (no x-rays) on February 15th, officially ending the entire ankle incident.

*******

Installation of the Aga wrapped up late Wednesday afternoon without a hitch.



J fired it up with a maintenance flame to keep its cast iron innards from rusting in the very humid air we have in the house while the plaster dries and cures. He’ll come back in mid-March to install the vent pipe and adjust the flame to its working setting.


Thursday morning The Gentle Giant movers truck arrived to move the big soapstone dry sink and another antique pedestal bathroom sink up to the house for the plumber to work on. Many of you may remember that I had a very positive experience last July when a crew of three hunky Rumanian guys from GG handled my move up here from Boston. This experience was just as positive as Jay, Andrew and Andy--fine looking men all and extremely pleasant to work with--confirmed why Gentle Giant will always be my first choice and a company I would recommend highly to anyone who needs moving services.

*******

Some fun anagrams, thanks to Watercolour Boy:

DORMITORY rearrange the letters: DIRTY ROOM

PRESBYTERIAN: BEST IN PRAYER

ASTRONOMER: MOON STARER

DESPERATION: A ROPE ENDS IT

THE EYES: THEY SEE

THE MORSE CODE: HERE COME DOTS

SLOT MACHINES: CASH LOST IN ME

ANIMOSITY: IS NO AMITY

ELECTION RESULTS: LIES - LET'S RECOUNT

SNOOZE ALARMS: ALAS! NO MORE Z 'S

A DECIMAL POINT: I’M A DOT IN PLACE

THE EARTHQUAKES: THAT QUEER SHAKE

ELEVEN PLUS TWO: TWELVE PLUS ONE

GEORGE BUSH: HE BUGS GORE

And for the grand finale...

MOTHER-IN-LAW: WOMAN HITLER

Speaking of George Bush, There’s an old expression that swords can be beaten into plow blades, and some clever caligraphic artist has made a collage of Bush slogans, etc. At least they finally have a respectable use.


*******

In the Wall Street Journal, Karl Rove, who I truly believe to be evil incarnate, has nevertheless come up with a reasoned analysis of Hillary Clinton’s surprise victory here on Tuesday:

Mrs. Clinton won a narrow victory in New Hampshire for four reasons. First, her campaign made a smart decision at its start to target women Democrats, especially single women. It has been made part of the warp and woof of her campaign everywhere. This focus didn't pay off in Iowa, but it did in New Hampshire.

Second, she had two powerful personal moments. The first came in the ABC debate on Saturday, when WMUR TV's Scott Spradling asked why voters were "hesitating on the likeability issue, where they seem to like Barack Obama more." Mrs. Clinton's self-deprecating response -- "Well, that hurts my feelings" -- was followed by a playful "But I'll try to go on."

You couldn't help but smile. It reminded Democrats what they occasionally like about her. Then Mr. Obama followed with a needless and dismissive, "You're likable enough, Hillary."

The other personal moment came on Monday, when a woman in Portsmouth asked her "how do you do it?" Mrs. Clinton's emotional reply was powerful and warm. Voters rarely see her in such a spontaneous moment. It was humanizing and appealing. And unlike her often contrived and calculated attempts to appear down-to-earth, this was real.

Third, the Clintons began -- at first not very artfully -- to raise questions about the fitness for the Oval Office of a first-term senator with no real accomplishments or experience.

Former President Bill Clinton hit a nerve by drawing attention to Mr. Obama's conflicting statements on Iraq. There's more -- and more powerful -- material available. Mr. Obama has failed to rise to leadership on a single major issue in the Senate. In the Illinois legislature, he had a habit of ducking major issues, voting "present" on bills important to many Democratic interest groups, like abortion-rights and gun-control advocates

The fourth and biggest reason why Mrs. Clinton won two nights ago is that, while Mr. Obama can draw on the deep doubts of many Democrats about Mrs. Clinton, he can't close out the argument. Mr. Obama is an inspiring figure playing a historical role, but that's not enough to push aside the former First Lady and senator from New York. She's an historic figure, too. When it comes to making the case against Mrs. Clinton, Mr. Obama comes across as a vitamin-starved Adlai Stevenson. His rhetoric, while eloquent and moving at times, has been too often light as air.

*******

With thanks to Michael Colbruno, I’m leaving you with some very easy-to-look-at pictures of the Austrian barihunk Günther Groissböck:






Comments:
:)
 
I'm very pleased to hear you are finally out of the cast. I am also happy to know that things are progressing with the house. The contractors are behind schedule, but when was than ever not true?

The Aga looks great, and isn't it scary when we find ourselves in agreement with Karl Rove?

As for Michael Colbruno, yowza! And I don't even like blonds.
 
Glad you are out of your cast. :-)
 
Aga looks fantastic....Gunther looks far better. Made the Majadra the other night....a total hit!
 
Freedom--for your ankle anyway--is on the march. Congratulations. And WOW that AGA is beautiful.
 
march--welcome! I like both your sites very much. I hope you'll stop by again.

evin g--yeah, I'm using it all as a lesson in patience.

bill--YOU'RE glad?! Thanks for the good wishes.

Lewis--Great. Glad it turned out well for you. We've got to get you both out here again when the house is finished.

Sam--we can't WAIT to start cooking with it. Fritz was like a kid with a big new toy when we got the carton of accessories, booklets and the instructional video.
 
Congrats on the ankle progress. I hope the strap-on serves you well. ;)

And thanks for the hunk photos!
 
I'm glad your ankle is healing so well! I admit I didn't know what an aga was until I googled it after you wrote about it. Wow! It looks amazing. Love the colour, too.
 
Jess--the strap-on is keeping my ankle, if nothing else, nice and rigid. Herr Groissböck could surely take care of the something else. :-)

Nicky--the color--er, colour--range of the Agas is very attractive. Our friend B the Chef who arranged the sale for us has aubergine at home and cream/tan at the Domain store where he represents Aga throughout New England.

There's a lovely lapis blue. Our second choice would have been British racing green if the claret had become unavailable for any reason. Claret was our first choice, hands down, as soon as we saw it.
 
i am behind in my bloggin
i am glad to see you outcast!
 
That's not the strap-on I envisioned, but good for you anway.
 
What an interesting blog! So many blogs of gays filled with half dressed men.:(
Nice to see a stove other than a Viking or stainless steel. Man and real plaster not sheetrock. Nice.
You'll continue to do well with the brace. I wore one when I fractured my ankle. It's great to be able to wear a shoe.
CJ via Lewis
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?