Sunday, November 18, 2007

 
OK, so being temporarily disabled sucks, that’s a given, and I have to move on from there. I’m picking up some wonderful new skills, like learning how to carry all sorts of things clutched in my teeth as my hands are taken up managing the crutches. I can also carry folded clothing around tucked firmly under my chin (Fritz, who has always found some of what I do a source of high amusement, looks up from his work or his reading, sees me in these strange postures and goes into hysterics).

Yesterday we visited the supermarket and I tried out the electric handicapped cart. Aside from the fact there was no provision at all to carry or store the crutches (I mean, that’s THE POINT, isn’t it—you can’t walk so you need the cart, and you can only have gotten to the cart with a cane or crutches) it was a pretty slick piece of equipment. It had forward and reverse (when I was leaving I backed it into it’s little berth, just like I do with the Jeep), it turns on a dime, has very easy-to-control speeds and an effective brake.

I navigated the whole store and through the check-out without hitting anything or anybody, a particular achievement considering that people didn’t really scatter or rush to open up a path for me when they saw me coming. As it was my first time driving one of those things, I know I would have gotten out of the way if it was ME standing in the aisles, but I managed it all without even a close call and had some fun into the bargain.

I’m having to be careful as my left leg now shows signs of fatigue from doing all the work. I was in pretty good shape before the fall and ankle fracture, but I’ve noticed that my biceps are pumping up and strengthening by the day. I told Fritz that if I don’t come out of this with pecs of steel, I’m going to be really pissed.

*******

Here’s something pretty cool for anyone thinking of getting a complex tattoo that’s designed to spread over a large part of the body. Loïc Zimmerman, a computer graphic artist in France has developed an animated program for testing out the effect of a large two-dimensional design when applied to the contours of an actual person.

Once the program was up, he entered photos of his own body in a variety of angles and poses, then sized and placed the shoulder blade/sleeve/pectoral design onto it, rotating his body to check out the results from all angles. What he saw led him to modify small parts of the design for placement, but the images seen below apparently are very close to the look of the finished tattoo.



Loïc maintains a site where you can view his professional work for the French video game company Quantic Dream, his free-lance work, and follow the progress of the tattoo program, as well as the ink on his body, via his blog.



You'll have to cut and paste to get to the site at http://loic.zimmermann.club.fr/blog/index.php because while this is the URL, I haven't been able to get Blogger to set a link that works. The link in the next item seems to work just fine. Ah, Blogger!

*******

In a YouTube video, Independent Vermont Senator Bernie Sanders declares before the Senate why he would not vote for Michael Mukasey as Attorney General. Senator Sanders lays it out the Bush administration’s violations of the Constitution very, very clearly, and establishes that waterboarding (which Mr. Mukasey thinks is just fine and dandy) is considered torture throughout the civilized world, of which 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue is apparently no longer a part.

Sadly, a majority of the Senate did not hear, or chose not to hear (Mukasey was confirmed), because his speech is a good example of the kind of reasoned, logical and yet sincerely felt statement that’s missing in so much of today’s debased political discourse.

In case there's any misunderstanding, waterboarding is a contemporary version of Medieval water torture; yes, the same kind of thing that was used to get women to "confess" to being witches. It is to this level that we have sunk.





Do a cut and paste to get to the YouTube video at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Up1J3kaPNg

Comments:
when we were in medical school, we were given a wheelchair for a day and told to go everywhere in it- to experience what it would be like
one thing i learned is when you are in a disabled device people assume you are stupid as well as disabled, and they talk down to you, litterally and figuratively.
 
I had no idea what this was and had to look it up online. I've never seen these graphics before. If more people saw them, I am sure there would be more outcry.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?