Tuesday, October 02, 2007

 
I’m revisiting an aspect of my youth I’d rather not encounter again. I’ve developed a case of hives with red, hot, itchy blotches here and there on my body—torso mainly—and swelling in the feet, fingers and face from time to time. When I got hives as a kid, the theory was that they were an allergic reaction to some sort of food allergen like hazelnuts or soy flour. Soy was just beginning to be used in processed American foods around the time I started having suspected food allergies, and my father, a World War II veteran who never got over a
profound distrust of anything German or Japanese, decided that the soy—because it was used prominently in Japanese food products--had to be responsible.

I have no idea why I’ve gotten this current bout of hives but I’m trying to not let it ruin our trips out into the countryside with E and F. We’re having a very good time together and our friends are enjoying meeting them. We had a great time Saturday night at the Reduced Shakespeare Company’s performance of their Completely Hollywood show at the Portsmouth Music Hall.

I’d never seen the RSC (I suspect that their name was chosen because it made an acronym identical to the Royal Shakespeare Company’s), but liked their manic energy and quirky material very much. The show consists of parodies of what they claim to be the top 177 Hollywood movies ever made, a very subjective list to be sure, and the references fly by with the speed of lightning so that if you’re not familiar with any particular film they’re skewering at the moment, you won’t have to wait long for one you do get to come along.

For someone who doesn’t normally see many movies, I was surprised at how many of their 177 I HAD seen. Perhaps they really are the top 177—or perhaps my taste in movies is as bad as theirs. I don’t think the latter is the case since there was a distinct lack of any Roman sword and sandal epics on the list and I am a total sucker for historical costume dramas. Since they’re usually set in a period I’ve studied in order to design some production somewhere, I get sneer in a superior and disapproving manner at bad details in the setting and costumes (those folds couldn’t have been set without a special sewing machine foot and a professional steamer!) while simultaneously wallowing in all the upholstery, drapes, candelabra and male in nothing but loincloths.

There weren’t any loincloths in Completely Hollywood but the three-man cast worked hard all night at both scripted and improvisational comedy and farce and made a super entertainment out of it all. The house wasn’t full, which was a shame, but they got a big reception from those of us who were there.

*******



Oh, just look at this—trusses sprouting everywhere over the great room! Our framing crew was higher than a kite this morning because they were told yesterday that they're taking part in an episode of the extreme house makeover show. On October 20th they begin at 10pm and go through the night until mid-day Sunday. A lumber yard in the town where the house is located is being paid to stay open and staffed through the night just to support them. G, the crew chief, isn't positive but he thinks that they'll be working on one of the houses in Goffstown, NH that was heavily damaged in the late spring floods and whose owners aren't financially able to make the repairs.

The crew is working at warp speed now because the new house is going to be on a tour of energy sustainable "green" houses that happens every year in this area. The general contractor called a couple of months ago to ask if we'd like to be included and I said yes, but the house would be nowhere near finished. He said that wasn't important because so much that matters would be in a good state of readiness. I then told him that we'll be in Boston that day getting E and F to Logan for their flight back to Denmark. So he and M, who did the construction drawings, will host the group and explain everything. Next year, however, we'll be doing it ourselves.

Anyway, by the end of the week all the trusses will be finished and the underside of the roof of the great room--tongue and groove pine planks --will be in place, along with as many of the glass block windows as they can get mounted in the walls.



Over the weekend, we found these simple but perfect ArtDeco sconces for the 1930s upstairs bathroom.

*******

This is a one-word-answer meme from ur-spo via CityWoof. Thanks guys:

1. Where is your mobile phone? Waist

2. Relationship? Married

3. Your hair? Short

4. Work? Free-lance

5. Your sister(s)? None

6. Your favourite thing? Belonging

7. Your dream last night? Homoerotic

8. Your favourite drink? Champagne

9. Your dream car? Hybrid

10. The room you’re in? Lobby

11. Your shoes? Docs

12. Your fear? Failure 

13. What do you want to be in 10 years? Published

14. With whom did you hang out with this weekend? Friends

15. What are you not good at? Dancing

16. Muffin? Corn

17. Wish list item? Bush-lessness

18. Where you grew up? New York City

19. The last thing you did? Blogged

20. What are you wearing? Casual

21. What are you not wearing? Cologne

22. Your pet? Cat

23. Your computer? MacBookPro

24. Your life? Superb

25. Your mood? Fine

26. Missing? Tonsils

27. What are you thinking about? Flooring

28. Your car? Jeep

29. Your [future] kitchen? Ideal

30. Your summer? Varied

31. Your favourite color? Earthtones

32. Last time you laughed? Today

33. Last time you cried? Forget

Comments:
I admit that Extreme Makeover, Home Edition makes me cry. Every single time.

I wonder how many of those 177 films I have seen. Do you have the list? As a huge movie buff, I have probably seen quite a few of them.

Your house is growing beautifully!
 
It sounds like a severe case of cooties to me. Have you been kissing girls again?
 
Your hives sound just lovely. Ick. Homoerotic dreams? Bad boy. Bad.
 
Hives, ouch. I have only ever had them as allergic reactions and god knows that was no fun. Hope you're feeling better soon, but I'm glad to hear you're not letting it interfere with enjoying your visitors.
 
Nicky--
I have the list but am not anxious to type in an email all 177 titles. If you feel comfortable emailing me your mailing address, I'll send a xerox copy.

Ted--
I left that back n the distant past.

Lewis--
Yes, and proud of it.

Tony--
They've faded to close to nothing--just a little itch in the palms of my hands; perhaps I've been doing something hot with them--see also Lewis's comment. LOL
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?