Wednesday, May 16, 2007

 
Things continue to go well concerning the sale of the house, which is a huge relief. Yesterday the house inspector went over the place with a fine tooth comb. There were a couple of surprises, all minor and manageable. Several will probably fall under the "as is" agreement with the new owner and I may have to take care of a couple myself, but I put some money aside for that sort of thing a while ago and should be able to cover things like a new pipe from the furnace to the chimney (there are rust spots and pinholes that are letting minute amounts of exhaust out into the basement), for example.

July 12 is now set as the day papers are passed and I will no longer be a Massachusetts resident. I'm ramping up my packing and transporting of as much as I can up to Fritz's, so the actual move by a professional moving company will be pretty modest by the time it has to happen.

MIT held the farewell party last Saturday night at the Hotel @ MIT up in Central Square. It was a big, fun, kind of joyous event. Aardvark, the jazz band conducted by one of our music faculty played wonderfully. Fritz and I danced and then another gay male couple danced and everybody had a great time.

There's a dear friend on the faculty, a woman with whom I've worked on one of her personal appearances doing her cabaret act. I brought in some simple lighting equipment and then just improvised light and color from the control board during her program, working off her moods and what her accompanist was doing throughout the evening. If there's such a thing as improvisatory jazz lighting, this was it and the three of us had a great time. I had asked if it might be possible for her to sing Fritz's and my song, "At Last" that was a big hit for Etta James. She did--in fact she sang the socks off it, and it got the after-dinner part of the evening off to a great start.

There were about 85 people, very good food and they gave me a gift of a gorgeous door that Fritz and I had found for the new house. It's oak with a big vertical panel of clear glass in various textures, leaded in the style of Frank Lloyd Wright's windows. It's perfect for the style of the house and will be mounted in the opening between the house's vestibule and the Great Room, allowing lots of light to pour into living area. It's an expensive item and an immense help that they decided for it to be my gift (Fritz, of course, was the discreet go-between on the deal). The fact that they gave something that will become part of the fabric of the house means a great deal--we'll see it and use it on a daily basis.

Tomorrow I teach my final classes at MIT--perhaps ever, who knows? When I look at the list of projects and experiences I've got lined up, I know that I am certainly not going to be idle. I'll probably be like some people I've met who retired early and then wondered how they ever found time to work.

**

I received an interesting bit of direct mail advertising the other day, a three-fold flyer for Just for Men hair color. The TV ads show guys with newly colored hair and younger women hanging all over them. It took a moment for me to pick up on the fact that the photos in this ad piece show only men in groups of two or three, one of which has this text:
"It's Romantic. He likes it when you make a little extra effort to look good for him."

As I've noticed before, popular acceptance frequently walks hand-in-hand with commercial profit opportunity.

**


This is my Tarot Card--although not all the text copied from the site that analyzes and tells you what your
card is:



You are The Star

Hope, expectation, Bright promises.

The Star is one of the great cards of faith, and dreams realised

The Star is a card that looks to the future. It does not predict any immediate or powerful change, but it does predict hope and healing. This card suggests clarity of vision, spiritual insight. And, most importantly, that unexpected help will be coming, with water to quench your thirst, with a guiding light to the future. They might say you're a dreamer, but you're not the only one.


Comments:
I'm glad to hear that the house sale continues smoothly.

Which hair color did you choose? I think you should add some streaks of burgundy to the gray.
 
Congrats! I'm also glad to hear things are going well. Chris & I are looking forward to having you as a NH resident!
 
Absolutely happy that the house sale project is moving along. Won't it be weird to not be in Boston anymore? No more teaching? I'm happy for you guys. The party sounds like a lot of fun!
 
The Star seems an apt card for you.
I would concur!
 
Congrats on all the new changes happening or about to! It sounds like you and Fritz will be very happy together!!
 
Continued good luck on your move. I'd heard about it through a mutual friend who I know thinks quite well of you. Hey, I'd like to find out the url for the Tarot site. And, thanks for checking my Blog, too. Catch up with you later.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?