Thursday, February 15, 2007
As soon as a new loaf comes out of the machine I always slice off one of the heels, spread a little margarine on it and give it a taste. Just as there's something special about the smell of bread baking, the taste of newly baked bread is special and ephemeral--actually special BECAUSE it's ephemeral. The millet flour gave the bread a mealy texture and rich, earthy taste.
Just after New Year's, Fritz and I visited friends in Maine for a couple of days. As we were getting a tour of the town of Bridgton, they stopped at a specialty grocery store where I discovered they had many unconventional flours. I bought four: almond, quinoa, garbanzo bean, and millet. I've already baked with the almond flour and got a delightful, slightly sweet loaf. But if I hadn't known, I wouldn't have exclaimed "almond!" when I tasted it. I'll be trying the other two soon.
Boston is sheathed in ice. The storm began yesterday morning with a little snow that turned into sleet, clogging most of the storm drains. Temperatures rose in the afternoon just enough to bring ice cold rain that flooded streets, sidewalks and open spaces. I drove home through ponds, with reports on the news that temperatures were dropping rapidly and all the water would soon freeze.
When I got home, shoveling my sidewalks (I live on a corner so I get to shovel double what everybody else does) was a lost cause--theyu were frozen almost solid. J from next door was trying to hack his way through the stuff but it was hopeless. Since the surface was highly textured, it wasn't as treacherous to walk on as I'd thought. Since it's a brilliant, cloudless morning, the sun should help as soon as it gathers a little strength.
Yaniboy from Adelaide in Oz had this meme on Yaniblog, and I picked it up because I wasn't seeing it everywhere else. It's simple and fun, particularly when you find yourself going back to certain comments to get them stronger, even closer to what you really feel.
List ten things you want to say to 10 people you know, but never will for whatever reason. Don't say who they are. Use each person only once and only use one sentence.
1. You are so incredibly ANNOYING!
2. It wasn't so much what you did, although it was devastating at the time, but the gratuitous cruelty and enjoyment with which you did it.
3. If you hadn't been a student, I would have been all over you in a heartbeat.
4. I can’t tell you how your chest hair turns me on!
5. I never meant to hurt you of all people, but I was falling completely in love with Fritz and didn't know you were falling in love with me at the same time.
6. I worked for twenty five years on this project and when it came under your jurisdiction, you screwed it up royally, so I'll never see it happen.
7. Would you PLEASE stop talking about it and just DO something!
8. Stop hovering; I'm a big boy who can take care of himself and just not that fragile.
9. What I did really wasn't as difficult as people think but I'm delighted to take all the credit you're giving me.
10. I DID tell you that underneath it all I'm a total sleaze.
Just to avoid any misunderstanding, none of the above is addressed to my beloved. Anyone who wants to, have fun with this!
j.p.--I don't know that book. I got my bread recipes from a friend who's very food oriented--he smokes his own meat and poultry. But I'm always open to new recipes, etc. I think I'm a pretty good candidate for Domestic Godhood.
Scott--no, at least not here--winter's just getting cranked up here. Best of luck with the job interviews and a belated Happy Valentine's Day to you and Jim.
To be clear about the storm we had for those that aren't around here - this was one of the more bizzare snow/rain/ice-pellet combos I've ever seen. Walking everywhere today is treacherous. Gotta love the variety, though - It'll make Spring that much sweeter (we hope)!
If I'm on the list at all, I'm either 1 or 7.
your 'wheat' section (yet again) makes me amazed how much you know and do.
Please send the ice this way; I am really tired of sun and heat.
I enjoyed the meme, though before I read your statement to the contrary, I had assumed that #10 was directed at your partner.
As for #4, if the fur fits, wear it! :-)
I would like the context for #10.