Saturday, January 13, 2007

 

It's all about men!

Every now and again the stars align or the Goddess decrees a magic day or it's just all a wonderful coincidence, but yesterday for me was the Day of the Beautiful Men.

It began as I left my Jeep in the parking garage in the Frank Gehry-designed Stata Center and began walking toward our design and production building. Every man I passed, no matter his age or physical type, was somewhere on the cute-pretty-beautiful-handsome-hunky-striking scale. Perhaps my receptors were especially open, and I know that there's a wide variety of types that I find attractive, but from students to the construction workers renovating our Medical Building, from the Japanese men on campus for a conference to our own staff and faculty, all the men I passed or held a door for or shared an elevator with, were real lookers.

It continued at mid-day as I hopped the red line to Boylston Street and met J, artistic director of the opera company I design for, who registers half way between beautiful and handsome on the scale himself. We were there to check out three of the black box theaters that have been built in theater district and South End in the last couple of years. At Emerson College's new building a rehearsal was in progress in one of the black boxes that involved people in groups of two - one blindfolded, one guiding – who were moving through the space sensing and feeling objects and surfaces. Lovely boys leading each other around was a startlingly attractive sight. In the South End we encountered the hunky friend who runs one of the local theater companies, and the Garden of Eden restaurant at lunch was filled with gay guys who just glowed.

But the grand finale had yet to happen. My toaster died the other morning and I remembered that my elder daughter, as she so often does, had given me a Williams-Sonoma gift card for Christmas. I drove from MIT to the Atrium Mall and found one I liked, but it was only the demo model, not the one I would buy. There was a young man crouching in front of a new a display, tying and retying the bow on an apron with elegant, long-fingered, hands until he got it just the way he wanted. As I approached from behind to ask for his assistance I could tell he was tall and dark. When I asked if I could interrupt him to help with a purchase, he stood and turned – and there was a gorgeous Mediterranean face with big, almost black eyes, a cherub's cheeks provocatively five o'clock shadowed and a sensuous mouth. Yes, he would be delighted to help me and no, it would be no trouble at all. He was stunning. I focused on his face and it wasn't until he came back with my boxed toaster that I saw his name tag. He was Greek and his name was Adonis. It was the perfect end to an extraordinary day – after ten hours of being surrounded some of the best looking guys I had ever encountered in a rather limited space in a fairly concentrated period I was standing before Adonis himself – and the reality perfectly fulfilled the myth.

Speaking of great guys, I've been pruning and adding to the blog list recently, recognizing the shut-down of several blogs and adding some great new finds. They're all well written and reveal strongly individual personalities. Several of the men are excellent artists and/or photographers. The first two are Bostonians.

I've been reading Eric Scott Matthews on and off for years and enjoying his take on the standard urban gay male dilemmas. It's long past time he was on the list.

Johnny at Beantown Cuban, one of the few but proud is a professional writer. I've been actively seeking out gay Boston bloggers - how could I have missed him for so long? He radiates energy and enthusiasm.

Alan Bennett Ilagan doesn't live here but has strong Boston connections. A writer and journalist, he also explored in photography a while ago the incredibly obvious interaction (except to the Catholic establishment) of Catholic religious art and imagery with homoeroticism.

Mike in D.C. writes Angst in the MIDDLE AGES, which refers to the historical period and also to his time in life. It all works just fine.

Optimystic Bloghead, who signs himself Bold Oy!, (the y in Optimystic is a strong clue to the content) is mentally and artistically vigorous and powerful as he looks back on a long life of devotion to the love of young men.

Cooper's Corridor is the blog of Dominic in the wilds of western Canada. His writing on the nature around him is as sensitive and radiant as anything you'll ever encounter.

IMNOT2BZY is Todd in Indianapolis. He's another blogger I've been reading at intervals for a long time. I finally realized he's someone I want to read regularly.

The Search for Love in Manhattan is a delight from beginning to end. Joel is a step aerobics and body sculpting instructor who's also published a very funny collection of Gay Haiku. His approach to life's disappointments and frustrations is to skewer them with sly humor and that most elusive of qualities, genuine wit.

Comments:
I LOVE the Garden of Eden.
I've only been once, but it was one of the most surreal experiences I've ever had, with three amazing people. It was almost like one of those "who would you invite to your fantasy dinner" things. I felt, in turns, very literary and intelligent, and utterly clueless. It was wonderful.
 
The "Gay Haiku" book sits on our coffee table. It will be fun to read his blog; thank you for the recommendations.
 
They seem to be EVERYWHERE! Cute, handsome, sexy, beautiful. Same with us at dinner tonight....waiters, more and more beautiful customers coming in, over and over. They were all over the place! We could hardly eat. But who's complaining...not me.
 
Hey there - Thank you so much for saying such kind things. Believe me, the admiration is mutual. Next time I'm in town we'll get that drink!
 
Wow, Will! I don't deserve to be in such distinguished company, but I'm flattered... thank you!

Ummm, could you please direct a few of those lovely men northwards?
 
A day of beautiful men...heaven.

Garden of Eden is always fun...haven't been there in months.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?