Saturday, December 10, 2005

 
We had a vicious little snow storm race through Boston yesterday and we're fortunate it was moving so fast. Had it stalled once it hit the coast, it would have pumped a huge amount of snow. As it is, I've got about eight inches (NOT personally) here just south of the city center and I'm hoping they plows arrive soon as I'm going to need parking around the house tonight.

It's QBB3, poker night with pot luck supper for what looks like seven of the gay Boston bloggers. If everyone gets here it's going to be the hard core with the addition of two new guys—Chris from UNH in Durham and Atari who made a pretty spectacular blog debut a short while ago and got firmly established with a steady readership right away. I'll be spending the day cleaning up the house for the first one of these gatherings that hasn't taken place at a restaurant.

I checked out my site meter this morning and discovered I'm one third of the way to the 100,000 hit mark that seems to be a common blog milestone. It's very interesting to track the search engine topics that bring people to me. My series on hot guys in the performing arts has brought me a huge number of hits, and it's a toss-up between the elegant, ultra-sexy British ballet dancer Adam Cooper and hunky American baritone Nathan Gunn seen here in two shots from the new opera he just premiered in New York, "An American Tragedy.". It seems that a couple of classical music sites (run by gay men, to be sure) have referred readers to DesignerBlog for Nathan's latest shirtless shots. And always ready to oblige, here are a couple more.

Actress Tilda Swinton is popular. I need to get more of her work on video (any suggestions?). My references and photo of her in Derek Jarman's post-modern, edgy, homoerotic film of Christopher Marlowe's Elizabethan play "Edward II" (about medieval England's queer king) bring people in steadily.


At MIT things should be winding down toward the Christmas-New Years break but that's not yet the case. I'm in the middle of designing the next production that goes into rehearsal and construction on February 9. Our director, M, is a guest, a gay British playwright and director currently making his career in the west of Ireland. He's in the country just this week to audition and hold design meetings before going back for the holidays. He comes into residence February 6 for the remainder of the academic year to teach acting courses in addition to directing the biggest production of the year.

So we had a very limited amount of time to confer with him, come up with a concept, get drawings or, in my case, a working model made, revise things after further discussion, and get approvals. I've been very lucky this year so far--actually it's simply because I'm HUGELY talented! :- ) and my luck held. He was enthusiastic about what I presented and in some of the surrealistic effects I had introduced, he said go for it and do even more. What he had spoken of was a world turned upside down by the main plot device: by a decree sent out by the dictator of a city state to the effect that men at age 80 and women at 60 are considered useless to the state and will be executed

The play is "The Old Law." It dates to the 1630s in England, about a quarter century after Shakespeare's death. M adapted it and premiered it in London to major acclaim as a slap in the face to Margaret "The Iron Lady" Thatcher's social policies. We all felt it would be an ideal play for the U.S. at this time.

Since M is so tied in to the political connection between a script and the society in which it is presented, I began to think what sort of look would indicate a world turned upside down for the MIT community. And of course it's the still controversial Stata Center by architect Frank Ghery. I do not, for course, intend actually setting the play in Stata, but referencing elements of Ghery's visual language to create a world in which all the normal presuppositions are exploded and no longer function. I'll post pictures as the design develops and turns into a full-scale theatrical set.

Comments:
For a time, I watched that thing (Stata) being built. I kept saying, "what a hunk o junk". I mean, I appreciated the concept, but hated being forced to look at it.

I love that Gunn and Cooper are big draws to your site! I was considering trying very hard to have Jamie Bamber be a keyword leading people to me. I mean, it would make me sooo happy. But I think 10quadrillion other bloggers are on the case already.

See you tonight!
 
For Tilda, the Deep End, ( she covers up a murder her gay son commits ) and in Orlando, where she's male for half the movie.
 
man, that building looks like it should have been one of the backdrops for Who Framed Roger Rabbit? Totally wild, indeed.
 
More Tilda recomendations:
The Deep End
Orlando
Female Perversions

That should start you off!
 
Howdy Will., Thanks for posting your warm thoughts at my blog. I appreciate them very much. And thanks for the info about Nathan Gunn. WOOOF. a voice and a hot bod.
Thanks for sharing. Big warm hairy hugs.
 
I think Tilda was in "Constantine" with (yuck) Keanu Reeves. She played an angel (literally). The movie was good, if you're into that sort of thing. The premise is that demons and angels actually roam the Earth, but can't directly interfere in human affairs, only try to influence them. That seems about to change, and supernatural investigator John Constantine (Reeves) starts, well, investigating. It probably sounds goofy for an MIT working/opera buff like you Will :-) but if anything the movie has amazing visuals, and is competent enough in the genre. A fun watch.
 
Mmmm, that Nathan Gunn is yummy!
 
Yeah, I was hooked after I saw Orlando. I also read that she did a few art installations.. one where she 'slept' in a glass box?!?

Warm wishes!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?